Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Journal 3 NETS-T 5


McDermon, Linda. "Bring the world into your Classroom." Learning and Leading with Technology 38.2 (2010): 34-35. Web. 27 Sep 2010. <http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/20100910?pg=36&search_term=bringing%20the%20world%20into%20your%20classroom&search_term=bringing%20the%20world%20into%20your%20classroom#pg36>.

Nets-T standard 5:
Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership. It will allow students to participate in local and global learning communities (a).  The students will participate in global conferences with other students from around the world.

Summary: 
This article is about exploring the world through technology without having to leave the classroom. The article mentions viewing museums and having conferences with other students around the world. The global conference is 12 hour window frames where students can present live to each other, have interactive quizzes, reading, and presentations.

How could I organize this for all grades at my school? 

Many schools do mock trials and other collaborative events within the school. If I could organize this for my school so students could practice and compete on a local level and then take their experience to the global conference.

How could I encourage my students to actively participate using other forms of technology? 

As a teacher I could encourage my students to work in groups and communicate through twitter and blogs. I could also invite my students to use electronic sources to find their information and create power-points. When the presentations get nearer I could have the students practice their presentations, do blog summaries, and create websites that could be seen by other students around the world. I think it could be interesting if the students at the conference were known in advance then the other students could be introduced to my student’s topics and vice versa before the presentations so we could practice and prepare discussions and questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment