Friday, September 3, 2010

Introducing Ms. Blogger Jordann Tanner NETS-T 1








Hello Everyone,
My name is Jordann Tanner. I am a Southern California girl born and raised in Vista. I am 22 years old and have lived in the same house since I was one year old. I went to kindergarten through elementary school at Monte Vista Elementary, middle school at Lincoln Middle, and high school at Rancho Buena Vista. I completed three semesters of college at the University of Redlands in San Bernardino, then moved back home. I lost almost all my credits transferring from a private university to a public but I was able to take 21 units in the spring at Palomar to get a head start. I am now doing my third year at CSUSM and hoping to graduate in the spring with my degree in liberal studies, my depth in psychology and my certificate in communicative sciences and disorders which are the prerequisites for the speech masters program CSUSM just recently added this fall.


In the technology continuum I am definitely not "tech savvy". I can work my computer; the internet, Microsoft word and I passed the CCR, but goodness that was lucky. Compared to a lot of my peers I am quite far behind. My parents are not technical people and so everything I know I've either stumbled on accidentally or learned from a friend. I would love to learn more tricks and short cuts with technology and I am already so amazed at how much I learned last night in the first class. I have never used a Mac and have only been exposed to PC's but possible after this course I may be converted to the Mac world. As far as technology goes in the world I think it is a great tool for people. Of course there are going to be downfalls and people that use it for inappropriate things or find ways to use it to harm people but overall i think it is a great tool. I know for my personally my grandparents live in Idaho so they are able to check my family's and cousin's blogs to look at pictures and our posts about what they are missing out on. They don't know how to comment or create their own blog but at least they can view everything. But yes, I like the whole technology thing although many aspects of its complexity and size scare me to death. I cannot wait to learn more so I can feel more comfortable using the computer and internet.


The CSUSM mission statement is something that I have learned to become passionate about through my courses here at CSUSM. As a student in Southern California I am learning just how important it is to have educators that are committed to creating a place of learning that is equal, diverse, and socially just for all children and their parents. I also know how hard and scary it can be for students and their parents to be in public school system and I believe that CSUSM's mission statement is a strong example of how a lot of California schools need to change. Although, I admit I did not know the Mission Statement prior to applying, now that I am a student and planning to get my masters through the College of Education here at CSUSM, I will stand up for this mission statement firmly and place the same responsibility on my peers here at school and eventually in the workplace also.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jordann! I'm with you about the light and dark side of technology. There are many ways to abuse it (the list is endless) but there really is more good than bad, like how your your grandparents can stay connected to their family by something as simple as a blog. (Actually, I'm impressed that they even know how to use a computer! My grandpa is hopeless, bless him!) I'm in the CSD program as well, though as a grad student, so hopefully we'll bump into each other during the certificate classes. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jordann! That's awesome that you've lived in the same house all your life too ! I've never meet anyone who has, nice to know I'm not the only one. See you in class!

    ReplyDelete