Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Journal 9 NETS-T 5

Cifuentes, L., Merchant, Z., & Vural, O.F. (2010). Save the world with web 2.0. Learning and Leading with Technology, 38(3), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-november.aspx

Summary
This article addresses some of the benefits of using web 2.0 tools. Web 2.0 tools are new to this generation of students as ways of finding answers to just about anything. Web 2.0 tools allow students to find tools to either create their own web tool to find answers to their questions. The article talked about specific web 2.0 tools that are now available to students and talks about how these tools help students in and out of the classroom. It also talks about the importance of students using web 2.0 tools to have access to other people, places, and events in the world. Today, it is more important than ever that students are able to connect, communicate and compete on an international level. Web 2.0 tools allow them the access to do this in real time.
How could creating a class wiki as a web 2.0 tool help the classroom?
Creating a class wiki for my students would allow me to give the students a list of developed tools to create their own projects. Creating a class wiki would allow me as an instructor to see how they play out concepts to make sure they understanding the concepts. Also, by using a wiki it is a fun way to assess the students and or a fun way for them to spend extra time on the concept without them thinking they are doing time draining homework assignments. More than ever I think it is important to keep students interested in what they are learning and that they learn in ways that are supportive of their digital lifestyle.

How can I make sure web 2.0 sites are safe for my students?
One thing that scared me personally about the internet is safety. As a future educator either in the classroom or in speech therapy internet safety is very important to me. If I were to create an interactive wiki for my students to use then I would make sure that I checked out every website first. I would also ask for parental permission and or assistance when students used the wiki. I think it is important to use technology in the classroom and for students but it has to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment