Sunday, October 31, 2010

Journal 6 NETS-T 5

Rebora, A. (2010, October 11). Change article. 04(01), Retrieved from http://www.edweek.org/tsb/articles/2010/10/12/01richardson.h04.html?cmp=clp-edweek&intc=bs&sms_ss=delicious&at_xt=4cb7dc75d0303b73,0

Change Article
Summary
This was an interview with Will Richardson, a former educator and now a education technology consultant who speaks about the importance of technology in the field of education. Richardson makes it his job to promote technology usage and information in the classroom to aid education. Richardson finds it important to provide and discuss resources that will aid in the learning process rather than factual information students memorize for tests. This is a large quote from the interview but I think he puts it very nicely,
"I think we need to focus more on developing the learning process—looking at how kids collaborate with others on a problem, how they exercise their critical thinking skills, how they handle failure, and how they create. We have to be willing to put kids—and assess kids—in situations and contexts where they’re really solving problems and we’re looking not so much at the answer but the process by which they try to solve those problems. Because those are the types of skills they’re going to need when they leave us, when they go to college or wherever else. At least I think so. And I don’t think I’m alone in that." I think this is a great way to put it and I strongly agree with him. Two other things Richardson discusses that I think are important concepts to discuss are G-Portfolios and students starting PLN's at a younger age.

How will the "G-Portfolio" help my future students?
Richardson calls G-Portfolios the ability for teachers to teach students how to have strong and appropriate search portfolios. Students need to be able to go on the internet, search something and find credible sources that fit their learning style, level or reading, and will be able to help them. As a future educator it is important to me that I know only help my students learn how to be strong and appropriate researchers but to aid my students in using internet resources as a means to find answers. As a student now I know how important and intimidating internet sources can be because it is all changing so quickly. But that also makes me realize how helpful and informative these new resources are.


What is the importance of students starting a PLN early in their education?
If I am able to help my future students create PLNs early in their education they will have a greater amount of resources to fall back on in all fields of their education. As a student in today's society creating a PLN allows me to find educators and other important people and or institutions and i am then able to follow them on things like twitter and delicious, google blogs etc. Being able to use these people as resources is something that was nearly impossible 10 years ago. I am able to follow and receive resources from teachers in other countries, principals, political figures, organization presidents etc. Some of these resources are information and some of these resources are classroom tools and tips. Having a PLN would allow students to also have access to these resources and to also collaborate with their own peers, teachers, etc. It is never too early to start a PLN. It is a very important tool that can help in so many ways, and its most likely free!

No comments:

Post a Comment